Tuesday, July 30, 2013

We Gon' Light It Up Like It's Dynamite!

Card from Victorian Romantic by Baba Studio
 

A couple of years ago we purchased a used iPod Classic on Craigs List for a very decent price.  There were roughly 1300 songs on it that ran the gambit from big band to hard core heavy metal.  Sadly at the time the iPod was not working correctly so we put it aside.  Recently one of my daughters gave me an iPod as a gift for Mother’s Day.  I dug out that old iPod classic and cleaned up the song and artist information so I could go through it and decide what I wanted to have on my mine and then the rest of the family could decide what they wanted to put on theirs. 
 

Now, I’ve always considered my musical tastes to be eclectic although pretty conservative.  That sounds like a contradiction.  I love classical, old school, country, classic rock, and pop….many different genres.  Really the only kind of music that I could never get into is rap, hip hop, hard core heavy metal and screamo.  There’s nothing wrong with them, it’s just not my cup of tea really.  The lyrics on some of them are really off putting for me, others just aren’t musical, in my opinion, and any music where the singer is literally screaming so loud that you can’t understand the lyrics…yeah, it hurts my ears.  This obviously isn’t the case for all and lord knows that there are a lot of country music haters out there as well so it’s all just a matter of personal taste.  Going through the iPod gave me the opportunity to sample many different genres that I normally wouldn’t even gave a second thought to and I really came out with a kick ass music list.
 

My daughter was going through my iPod to see what music I had on it and to be honest, there was some music on there that I have no idea why I like the sound of it but I do.  That’s how music works.  I liked it so I put it on there.  Anyway, she was very surprised by some of the music she found, including rap and hip hop, and made comments like “Who are you?  You are not my mother”.  My response was that I’m not the square that she thinks I am.  At the time I brushed it off but I was thinking about it the other day and it made me a little sad.  Now, I’ve never really been the type to put myself into fun mode a million percent.  I’ve always been the responsible person who has made sure that all of the I’s were dotted, t’s were crossed and rules were followed.  That doesn’t mean that I’ve never had fun because I have.  I’ve embarrassed my kids (on purpose) and done some crazy things in the name of fun but the truth is I haven’t done it enough.  What made me sad isn’t that my daughter didn’t think I was cool.  I’m a mom so I’m square and not fun.  This is normal to a certain extent.  However, the comment made me feel as though I don’t have enough fun around my family and truthfully, I don’t.  My family doesn’t see the fun side of me as often as they should, although I have been getting better at it. 
 

I need to find the balance between responsibility and fun.  I need to learn to relax and just be in the moment and enjoy it.  This is something that I have been working on for a long time and obviously by my daughters comment, I’m just not there yet.  Not to where I want to be anyway.  (I mean she will probably always think that I’m square to a point)  I need to allow my freak flag to fly on more occasions and that’s what I am going to try to continue to do. 
 

I will say that I have a very difficult time not throwing my hands in the air when Dynamite comes on by Taio Cruz.  Usually it is at home but today I vow that I will do it in public!  I invite you to do the same.  Life is too short to be all responsibility and little fun.  Responsibility is extremely important but without the fun, it just isn’t worth it.  What good is working all of the time to support your kids if you never spend time with them?  There is a time and place for responsibility and a time and place for fun and letting go. 
 

So go outside of your box and learn about things that you wouldn’t usually consider.  Get yourself out of that rut and have a good time!  You deserve it!  If I hadn’t have listened to music that I normally don’t listen to I wouldn’t have expanded my horizons and found some really great music!!
 

I throw my hands up in the air sometimes
Saying ayo
Gotta let go

I wanna celebrate and live my life
Saying ayo
Baby, let's go

'Cause we gon' rock this club
We gon' go all night
We gon' light it up
Like it's dynamite”

 

Dynamite by Taio Cruz 

 

I’m seriously going to have this song in my head the rest of the day and I love it!
 

Have a fabulous week and remember to light it up likes its dynamite!!
 

Blessings!!


No comments:

Post a Comment